Saturday, October 01, 2016

Day 3: Facebook's 14th block against our Church and State website since 1 December 2015 (with draft paragraph re Facebook for Declan's next updated complaint to the United Nations)

We are calling this Facebook's 14th block since 1 December 2015. Since 29 September, Facebook has blocked me from posting to groups without first passing through a time-consuming security check for every post I wish to make; and this for an undisclosed period of time and without any stated reason. They did not respond to any of my previous thirteen appeals, so I don't expect a response to my appeal below. We now have, however, a full-blown paragraph on Facebook for Declan's next updated complaint to the United Nations (further below). We also agree with our good friend and colleague in Washington DC, Don Collins, who wrote in response to my appeal: "Terrific!! The only way to win is to be the squeaky wheel that gets oiled!"

29 September 2016

Dear Facebook,

I wish to appeal your decision this evening to block me from posting to groups without first passing through a time-consuming security check for every post I wish to make; and this for an undisclosed period of time and without any stated reason.

I have made a video of the security check I must pass through to post to groups; it can be viewed at https://youtu.be/CkTFgZCg8MA. In this instance, I tried to post an article titled "Global overpopulation is the real issue" to Population Speak Out Discussions, a group I actively participate in almost on a daily basis.

Please note that I only ever post to groups that are specific to an article's subject and that I am well familiar with, and I only ever post articles that I have already posted to our Church and State website.

Yours faithfully,

Lola Heavey
Webmaster
Network for Church Monitoring

"Let me recommend an important web site - churchandstate.org.uk. Operating out of London this well-designed and exciting web site covers church-state, population, climate change and other issues. Check it out." - Edd Doerr, President, Americans for Religious Liberty

This is the video:



RE: Facebook

Draft paragraph 42 of Declan's next updated complaint to the United Nations.

42. On 13 August 2011, then Home Office Minister Lynne Featherstone wrote to Facebook on the Applicant's behalf, asking that they explain why the Applicant's wife had been barred. The bar was subsequently lifted; however, since 1 December 2015, Facebook has blocked the Applicant's wife from posting to pages and/or groups on fourteen separate occasions, and up to six days at a time. On 22 December 2015, Shadow Home Office Minister Lyn Brown made an enquiry on the Applicant's behalf to Steve Hatch, the Managing Director of Facebook UK, asking if he could offer an explanation as to the terms and conditions the Applicant's wife was alleged to have broken twice previously. To the best of the Applicant's knowledge, Mr Hatch did not respond to this letter. The Applicant's wife only ever posts to groups that are specific to an article's subject and that she is well familiar with, and she only ever posts articles that she has already posted to the Church and State website. Nonetheless, Facebook has not acknowledged or responded to any of the Applicant's wife's fourteen appeals since 1 December 2015. Each of the following blocks are well accounted for in the Applicant's wife's N4CM blog:

1st 1-4 December 2015 (4 days)
2nd 5-7 December 2015 (3 days)
3rd 6-9 January 2016 (4 days)
4th 12-15 January 2016 (4 days)
5th 20-22 January 2016 (3 days)
6th 13-16 February 2016 (4 days)
7th 23-26 March 2016 (4 days)
8th 20-23 May 2016 (4 days)
9th 25-30 May 2016 (6 days)
10th 1-3 July 2016 (3 days)
11th 7-8 September 2016 (2 days)
12th 21-22 September 2016 (3 days)
13th 27-28 September 2016 (2 days)
14th 29 September (ongoing)

UPDATE 1, 2 October: Complaint to Facebook Chairman, Chief Executive and Co-founder Mark Zuckerberg on day 4 of Facebook's 14th block since 1 December 2015

UPDATE 2, 3 October: Facebook's 14th block since 1 December 2015 has been lifted. This has been a 5-day block. No response to my appeal above.

UPDATE 3, 4 October: Facebook's 15th block against our Church and State website since 1 December 2015 (WITH UPDATE)




Facebook UK Managing Director Steve Hatch



Joseph McCabe (1867-1955), a former Franciscan monk who became one of the best-known champions and a prolific popularizer of freethought and rationalism in the first half of the 20th century, had this to say:

"The criticism of religion seems to be an unpopular job. I am, as more zealous and self-sacrificing purveyors of skepticism will assure you, really a timid and innocuous person, yet I have had my life threatened in Sydney and have been protected by friendly guns in Denver. I have heard ladies of Minneapolis regret that none had the courage to shoot me, and British Spiritualist clergymen have deplored in their journal 'Light,' that I have never yet had the horsewhipping which I have merited. Friends have rushed before me in the streets of London to protect me, they imagined, from a vitriol-thrower, and sailors have been bribed by clergymen of the southern seas to put my luggage ashore a thousand miles away from my destination. I have been forced by the pressure of the Catholic Church on a London publisher to tear up a literary contract worth at least twenty thousand dollars, and have had my books shamelessly misrepresented in the press and expelled, under menaces, from booksellers' shops. Insults, injuries, intrigues, lies, libels, vituperations, depreciations..."

What's changed?

'Let me recommend an important web site churchandstate.org.uk. Operating out of London this well-designed and exciting web site covers church-state, population, climate change and other issues. Check it out.' - Edd Doerr, President, Americans for Religious Liberty