Monday, October 04, 2010

Mary Ward Centre: Letter to Principal Ceri Williams


Ceri Williams, third from the left, standing next to her Chair Diana Good (click to enlarge)

The Mary Ward Centre is one of London's premier adult education colleges. In Saturday's blog Mary Ward Centre threatens me with expulsion, I published a letter I received that morning from the college's Head of Computing, IT and Business Clive Allum informing me that I didn't notify them I wouldn't be attending their two-day course "Excel Introductory" on 23 and 30 September, adding, "As a result we have to cancel any future computing enrolments you may have on our system." Well, it turns out that I have been "the victim of an administrative error", according to Vice Principal Suzanna Jackson this afternoon.

I had been concerned that if the college did not rectify this situation, our jobcentre could have taken our benefits since I am not turning up for courses! For the record, this is the email I sent this morning to the college's Principal Ceri Williams, copied to her Chair Diana Good (a former litigation partner at Linklaters, one of the UK's highest ranking law firms, who has a part time judicial appointment):



Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens would have made few friends in the Catholic community after they triumphed in opposing the motion in the Intelligence Squared debate (2009) "The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world". It has been said that here Stephen Fry is much more like Goebbels' prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials.