Thursday, September 30, 2010

A4E: Letter to the Irish Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform

As I said in the blog of 22 September A4E: Letter to City of London Police Commissioner Michael Bowron, I am more undocumented than an illegal immigrant following the robbery in June 2008 of all our money and documents in the Sisters of Mercy's Dellow Day Centre for the homeless - for more than 2 1/2 years we were forced to sleep rough on the streets of London by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) because Declan did not "sign on" TWO DAYS BEFORE he was actually due to do so on 29 September 2006 (see blog of 21 June Department for Work and Pensions double breaches the Data Protection Act: Letter to the Information Commissioner). It has taken Broadway Homelessness and Support more than a year to retrieve Declan's birth certificate from Ireland (see blog of 10 September Broadway Homelessness and Support), and they have yet to agree to assist me with requesting my Irish Citizenship Certificate so that I can be reissued an Irish passport (see blog of 13 September Broadway will help me become a Spanish citizen!). This afternoon I even received an email from the Private Secretary to Irish Minister Dermot Ahern. Declan will send this thread to him by registered post tomorrow (the letter from the Papal Nuncio regarding the Sisters of Mercy is published here):



(In the video contained in the blog of 3 September Declan's case against A4E on YouTube, I explain that we came to England from Dublin in 2003 and for two years attempted to start a network of those abused by church with our own money and how the opposition we encountered was so great that we had no choice but to go on benefits in 2005. And if you want to know what kind of opposition we encountered before we were forced to the streets for more than 2 1/2 years, the blog of 11 September City of London Police in the spotlight contains some photos of our flooded kitchen and bathroom in August 2004!)

This afternoon I ran into my A4E (Action for Employment) employment officer Greg Janiszek in a major way - A4E is a private sector company that has £300 million of Government training contracts and controls 25% of the long-term unemployment budget for the DWP. Janiszek had the cheek to tell me that the reason why I have not gained meaningful employment is because I am sending all my CVs and application forms to non-profits through the post! He is of course well aware that Declan has written to our MP Lynne Featherstone, now a minister in the Home Office, asking her to be of assistance "in correcting the unlawful violation of our basic right to send and receive email without interference" (see blog of 21 April Interception of communications: Declan writes to our MP). This is her most recent letter to Declan, which I have shown Janiszek on more than one occasion (click to enlarge):



Janiszek is also aware that Declan's petition to the UN regarding stem cell research has been shelved several times because almost no scientist was getting his email in their Inbox (see here); that our blog and the NAC website has been hacked and vandalised several times (see here and here); and that abuse has been hurled at a NAC Honorary Associate via Skype (see here). I am not sure if I have told him that in 2008 over 300 draft documents were erased from our Gmail account (see here). But certainly I have informed him, and more than once, that the original NAC website was suspended in March 2008 due to a Spamcop report that was drawn up the day after the Home Office denied that a warrant had been issued to intercept Declan's communications (see here).

No employer or agent has ever got back to either of us to tell us we are living in the twentieth century! We are doing our very best to find employment despite all the obstacles. Between two training courses (Declan actually attends a third training course on Saturdays - of no interest to A4E because it is in his "free time") and travelling to and from an allocated A4E branch that is not even in our own borough (our local A4E branch happens to be less than a ten-minute walk away from our flat), we do not have the time for a window-dressing exercise through Gmail. We have to get through to employers, and the only way to do that is to send CVs and application forms through the post, notwithstanding the time, trouble and expense.

My Irish Citizenship Certificate aside (Janiszek has asked me not to send him any more emails regarding this matter), why doesn't this employment officer facilitate my efforts by getting me the work experience I need - work experience they are obliged to provide me with and which I am repeatedly asking him for? Neither has Janiszek lifted one finger to help me get onto a training course. A4E, a private company, is the largest provider of welfare to work programmes on behalf of the DWP. Who is in breach of contract here?

More like a cheek and a half.