Monday, April 13, 2009

Letter to Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor

In the blog of 3 April “Still blocked by Facebook”, I published an email Declan received from Detective Paul De-Krestser of Limehouse Police Station suggesting that he calls police immediately when he next makes sight of the homeless guy against whom he has three crime references numbers so that he can be arrested; the Dellow Day Centre of the Catholic Sisters of Mercy Providence Row Charity is not divulging the identity of this guy to police even though they know his details. Well, this morning in the Catholic Manna Day Centre Declan saw him. In fact, the guy seemed quite pleased to be seen, Declan kept bumping into him here and there. So Declan decided to take the five-minute walk to the local police station.

Of course, the police officer couldn’t assure Declan that he wouldn’t get himself barred for bringing the police to the Manna Centre – “we don’t run the place,” PC 396MD told him – so he decided to skip Det. De-Krestser’s advice and update instead the head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, in his capacity as Archbishop of the Diocese of Westminster, to which the Dellow Centre belongs. (Our concern to be barred from one or both of these day centres is not unfounded: on 18 June 2007 we were barred from the Methodist Church Whitechapel Mission by the minister’s wife due to concerns about our safety after I was assaulted in an unprovoked attack by a homeless woman in the canteen.) For the record, this is Declan’s email this afternoon to Cardinal Murphy-O’Connor:

Subject: Providence Row Charity

His Eminence Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, Archbishop of Westminster.

Your Eminence,

I refer further to the email of acknowledgement of 25 June 2008 that I received from your Personal Secretary, Sister Damian McGrath, stating: "I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your email concerning Providence Row Charity. The Cardinal is out of the country at the present time but he will see your email on his return next week."

I wish to bring to your attention that I continue to wash in the street as a result of harassment and intimidation by homeless people in the Dellow Day Centre of the Sisters of Mercy Providence Row Charity and the Catholic Manna Day Centre (whose building is provided rent-free by the Archdiocese of Southwark), which I have been doing every weekday morning since 10 April last year; and my wife has been doing since 27 February.

In order to avoid being barred through no fault of my own, I do not venture into the washroom in the Dellow Centre and this morning thought it best to leave the Manna Centre, having been stalked both inside and outside the centre by the homeless man against whom I have three crime reference numbers (see (2), (4) and (7) below) – the breakfast provided by the Dellow Centre is the only food available to my wife for the entire day Monday-Friday; I walk a two-hour round trip virtually every weekday to the Manna Centre to avail of the free lunch provided to homeless people.

Since my initial letter of complaint to you of 21 April 2008 (almost two weeks after I took to washing in the street), I reconfirm the occurrence of the following incidents:

(1) on 28 April 2008, I submitted a written complaint to the Chief Executive of the Providence Row Charity, Ms Jo Ansell, against a homeless man for verbal abuse in the canteen of the Dellow Centre;
(2) on 16 May 2008, I reported a homeless man to the Metropolitan Police for racially aggravated harassment in the Dellow Centre's men's washroom (crime reference no. 4212667/08);
(3) on 18 June 2008, I was robbed in the canteen of the Dellow Centre of all my and my wife's money and documents (crime reference no. 4215697/08); on 24 June, I was informed at Bow Street police station that the case had been struck out due to the police being unable to obtain any CCTV footage whatsoever from the Providence Row Charity;
(4) on 19 June 2008, the day after the robbery of all our money and documents in the Dellow Centre, I reported the same homeless man referred to in (2) above to the Metropolitan Police for assault while queuing for food in the Manna Centre (crime reference no. 3021917/08);
(5) on 30 June 2008, I submitted a written complaint to Ms Ansell against a homeless woman for verbal abuse in the canteen of the Dellow Centre;
(6) on 6 November 2008, I submitted a written complaint to Ms Ansell against the same homeless woman referred to in (5) above for verbal abuse from the reception desk of the Dellow Centre;
(7) On 24 February 2009, I reported the same homeless man referred to in (2) and (4) above to the Metropolitan Police for assault in the canteen of the Dellow Centre (crime reference no. 4204029/09); on 25 March, I received an email from Detective Paul De-Krestser of Limehouse Police Station stating that the case had been struck out due to the police being unable to obtain the identity of the suspect from the Providence Row Charity “even though they do know his details” (see attachment). (Detective De-Krestser suggests that I call police immediately when I next make sight of the suspect so that he can be arrested.)

This morning I was informed at Southwark police station that if the suspect referred to in (2), (4) and (7) above was arrested at the Manna Centre, the police could not prevent me from being barred from the premises. On 18 June 2007, my wife and I were barred from the Methodist Church Whitechapel Mission by the minister's wife due to concerns about our safety following an unprovoked assault on my wife (crime reference no. 4217341/07). Despite that the Whitechapel Mission's website states that homeless people are not barred or excluded and that I wrote by registered post to the minister himself and to the head of the Methodist Church in the UK, Rev Graham Carter, neither my wife nor I were readmitted.

Please would you acknowledge receipt.

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey