Thursday, April 09, 2009

Facebook warnings continue unabated

I just wanted to quickly update my Facebook situation. I have now received several emails of warning from Facebook; yesterday I received one after I sent three friend requests, today after I sent one. And it doesn’t seem to matter if we have 27 mutual friends or 139! A FB friend put it very succinctly yesterday: “Stranger still, just now Facebook posted an item that boasted how they are 200 million strong, how did they get those numbers without friends being able to ‘add’ each other?”

Anyway, a group has been formed “Support Lola Heavey - Stop Facebook Banning Her”, which can be accessed here. I think that if these warnings are to continue they will inevitably result in my account being disabled – I will lose my friends and my wall. It is not like this is foreign to me: the NAC website, for example, has been twice removed from the internet (see “About us”). I just emailed Facebook at warning@facebook.com:

Subject: Warning: My Facebook Account

Hi,

I refer to your email of warning just now after I added one friend. You state:


Hi,

Our systems indicate that you've been misusing certain features on the site. This email serves as a warning. Misuse of Facebook's features or violating Facebook's terms of use may result in your account being disabled. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

If you have any questions, please contact warning@facebook.com from your login email address.

The Facebook Team


Once again, and for the second day in a row, I respectfully request that someone for and on behalf of the Facebook team at warning@facebook.com please advise what policy am I failing to follow? What rule am I violating? If there are limits I need to adhere to (time lapses or whatever), what are they? If Facebook issues me a "warning", surely I should be told what I am doing wrong.

Yours sincerely,
Lola Heavey