Thursday, April 02, 2009

Facebook has issued me another warning



Facebook has just issued me with another warning. And in the same manner as on 21 March (see previous blog “Facebook no longer permits me to add friends”): as I was adding like-minded people - other atheists, humanists, etc - as FB friends. In fact, I had only done four or five when the warning popped up. I now have 506 friends and many have well over 1,000 of their own. Indeed, it would appear that there is no limit to the number of FB friends you can have; PZ Myers, for example, a favourite of mine, has 4,994 friends.

Just in case I am taken down this evening (as the warning threatens I will be), I have an up-to-the-minute snag of my wall, FB friends, including the contact information for the US and British journalists and bloggers who have befriended me, and all emails I have sent and received through my FB account. I find it quite outrageous that FB can seemly terminate accounts at will, without explanation or clarification, especially since I have worked quite hard, putting articles and videos on my wall which may be of interest to the community; they frequently get good response too, particularly of late. But it sure looks like my FB account is heading the same direction as the original NAC website and Declan’s petition to the UN in support of therapeutic cloning, which has been signed by 24 Nobel Laureates (see “About us”).

Changing the subject, yesterday Declan was ticketed by a police officer for sitting in the local train station, which the officer deemed “loitering” (a first), and tomorrow I am back begging in the same station, subject to arrest as begging is illegal in the UK (the last time I had to ask people for some change was last Easter). Should I be arrested tomorrow morning, I will insist that the following email letter from Declan yesterday evening to the Chair of The Big Issue Foundation Steven Round, together with its attachments, be used in my defense by the solicitor appointed to me - and on appeal, if necessary (The Big Issue is a magazine sold by homeless people on registered pitches throughout the UK; we have been selling it since December 2006):

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Mr. Round,

Previous correspondence refers. In the light of the seriousness of the situation my wife finds herself in, I wish to bring to your attention as chair of The Big Issue Foundation my email and attachment of even date to The Big Issue Company (please see attachments).

Should my wife in fact be arrested for begging in the local train station this week, and assuming you have no objection, she will present this email and attachments to you to the solicitor appointed to her case.

I can confirm that this evening I received an email of reply on behalf of The Big Issue Company from Outreach and Distribution Manager for London, Mr. Paul Joseph, stating:


Provided you move on when the registered vendor arrives you are entitled to work the pitch. Can you confirm that it is vendor 1739 who you have spoken to and we can speak to him.


I replied: "I can so confirm, the same vendor 1739 against whom I lodged a formal complaint with The Big Issue Company on 24 July 2008 for harassment and intimidation on my (then) pitch at McDonald's on Liverpool Street"; I received Mr. Joseph's "Out of Office AutoReply".

In the event of error in transmission, please note that the order of attachments is as follows:

The-Big-Issue 1.4.doc 27kb
The-Big-Issue-Foundation 23.2.htm 12kb

Please would you acknowledge receipt.

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey

For the record, this is the first attachment, Declan’s email to Outreach and Distribution Manager for London Paul Joseph yesterday (the second attachment, Declan’s letter of complaint to Round on 23 February, is presented here):

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Mr. Paul Joseph,

I re-transmit for your attention as the Big Issue outreach and distribution manager for London my email of 31 March regarding The Big Issue, presented below, to which I received your "Out of Office AutoReply" yesterday afternoon.

I attach copy of my most recent email of 23 February to the Chair of The Big Issue Foundation, Mr Steven Round, on the subject of, inter alia, the making available by The Big Issue of my pitch at McDonald's on Liverpool Street to other vendors to register as from 18 November 2008.

I am hoping that my wife (badge no. 1170) will not have to resort to begging in the local train station this coming Friday morning.

Please would you acknowledge receipt.

Best regards,
Declan Heavey
Big Issue badge no. 1163

------------------------------

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Mr Paul Joseph,

I would be much obliged to you if you could please have the vendor to whom McDonald's on Liverpool Street has been allocated informed that when he is not on this pitch I am fully entitled to be on it.

It has got to the stage now that to buy two Big Issues my wife and I have to scavenge in bins at night and go hungry for days on end.

Surely this vendor's repeated insistence that I go get my own pitch (most recently this lunch time) is unnecessary and discourteous, if not deemed by the Big Issue Company to be in flagrant breach of codes of conduct?

Best regards,
Declan Heavey
Big Issue badge no. 1163