Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Letter to the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Big Issue

The Big Issue is a magazine sold by homeless people throughout the UK on registered street pitches. Yesterday the Big Issue outreach manager for London emailed Declan to advise that if over the next four weeks we haven't purchased a minimum of 40 magazines per week, from 10 November we will no longer be able to have a registered pitch - we “will be allowed to carry on selling but not have priority on any pitch”. The last time we had such money was before we were robbed of all our money and documents in the Catholic Dellow Centre (see blog of 18 June “Declan robbed in the Sisters of Mercy Dellow Centre”). We have had so many problems of late attempting to sell The Big Issue, particularly with other Big Issue vendors (see, for example, blog of 22 August “Scientists grow blood from embryonic stem cells”) that this speaks ominously of the weeks to come.

Yesterday Declan's petition to the UN on research cloning of embryos and stem cells was signed by four scientists. However, I received such a low number of out-of-office autoreplies that I still believe the vast majority of emails are being dumped to spam boxes (see previous blog). Out of a total of 251 emails I got nine autoreplies: the first 73 emails yielded no autoreplies at all, then three came in quick succession: 74th, 76th, and 79th emails – one of the signatories came from the email I sent immediately following the second of these autoreplies. And 43 emails to the Institute for Regeneration Medicine of the University of California, San Francisco? Zero autoreplies – and zero signatories. Today I sent a total of 153 emails and got, well, two autoreplies: from the 65th and 70th emails. Nobody that I emailed today has so far signed.

Anyway, this is Declan’s letter of complaint this morning to the founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Big Issue, John Bird; a copy of which he will also send to Chair of The Big Issue Foundation, Steve Round:

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Mr Bird

As the founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Big Issue, please find enclosed copy of an email I received yesterday, 6 October, from your Outreach Manager for London, Mr Paul Joseph. On 10 September 2007 you wrote to me, stating:


I have employed many people over the years to do jobs related to the running of The Big Issue. I have never employed them to do my job; likewise I do not do their job. Please bear this in mind when you are composing your letters. You do not need to address your letters to me, as it is not my job. I would only get involved if you were utterly and totally let down by those whose job it is in The Big Issue. I hope this assists in your deliberations in pursuit of your claims.


I wish to complain that if my wife and I do not purchase a minimum of 40 magazines each week for the next four weeks, from 10 November we will no longer be able to have a registered pitch - we "will be allowed to carry on selling but not have priority on any pitch".

Yesterday we were only able to afford to buy two Big Issues for resale, and today will only be able to afford to buy another two magazines. Moreover, I wrote to the Registrar of the European Court of Human Rights on 21 August further to my second application for priority under Rule 41 of the Rules of Court, stating:


As explained in previous applications, my wife and I survive on the streets of London by selling The Big Issue, a magazine sold by homeless people on registered street pitches, and I have lodged numerous written complaints with The Big Issue Head Office in respect of my wife and myself being walked off our respective pitch by other street traders, including, inter alia, Big Issue vendors. You will note from my email and attachments to Court of 16 August that not only may my wife be forced into begging (a criminal offence in England), but she has been threatened by The Big Issue with debadging for so doing.


Please would you acknowledge receipt.

Yours sincerely
Declan Heavey
Badge no. 1163

cc Mr Steven Round, Chair of The Big Issue Foundation