Saturday, August 02, 2008

I am urinated on in the porch

At 5.10am this morning somebody urinated on me while I slept in my sleeping bag in the porch we have been sleeping in since 3 November 2006 – a first (we wake up at 4.30am M-F, and 6.30am on weekends). Based on the evidence, this is what Declan thinks: this guy began urinating on the wall a couple of feet from us, then moved and proceeded to urinate on me, before running off as Declan sat up (I sleep on the outside, and Declan on the inside with our well-tied bags). The urine came at me with such force I actually woke up convinced somebody was emptying the contents of a glass of beer over my head; still, none of it touched my face as I was sleeping on my side with my back to the street and was wearing a cap and an eye cover. Needless to say, the clothes I use as a pillow, my cap and my sleeping bag were wet with urine.

Unsettling as it is, worse has happened to me while sleeping in this porch (and this is the best place we have come across to sleep): within two weeks of sleeping in the porch somebody sat on the right-hand side of my face; on 5 May 2007 some guy dragged me out of the two-step porch by the ankles while I was in my sleeping bag, then a few hours later I was kicked in the back; and on 22 September a guy repeatedly kicked me in the chest and shoulders as his mates stood by – the porch is situated in a business area well covered by CCTV.

The European Court of Human Rights doesn't think that these things are too bad: in a letter of 22 November 2007, the Court stated that it was unnecessary to consider Declan's request for priority of 8 September 2007 because it would be examining his application "shortly, possibly by the end of January 2008"; and in a letter of 16 June Declan is informed that "the Court will deal with the case as soon as practicable" – on 18 June, two days before Declan received this letter, all our money and documents were robbed in the Catholic Sisters of Mercy Dellow Centre (see blog of 18 June “Declan robbed in the Sisters of Mercy Dellow Centre”).

If I had to elaborate on an explanation as to why I was used as a urinal, it would have to be because of this: for the last three days Declan has been working on the Faculties of Engineering, Medicine and Natural Sciences of Imperial College London – from which institution some very distinguished scientists have signed his petition to the UN on therapeutic cloning – especially to try and get the petition signed again. In fact, on Thursday I emailed about 15 scientists from ICL (plus another 40 scientists from the University of California, San Francisco) and on Friday well over 30. The number of out-of-office autoreplies is my best indication as to whether Declan's emails are going to inbox or spam (two or three autoreplies within a batch of 10 would be a good indicator of the former): of a total of 45 emails to Imperial College scientists I got two autoreplies; and of a total of 40 emails to the University of California I got four autoreplies in a batch of 10 and then almost none …. There seems to be an uncomplicated approach to things in relation to Declan and me: he is looking to get the local support we need, I get urinated on; I send emails, they get delivered to spam mailboxes.

Actually, I am lucky I can send emails at all from the local council’s Idea Store Whitechapel library (see blog of 25 June “Police ‘No sleeping’ sign in the porch” for Declan's most recent letter to the Leader of Tower Hamlets Council): frequently on an hour booking I find myself unable to log in to my computer and have to wait for ten to fifteen minutes before my membership card number and password are accepted; and, for instance, on Wednesday it was announced that nobody would be able to use a computer.

A proposal to define a fertilised human egg as a person will land on Colorado's ballot this November, the first time the question of when life begins will go before voters anywhere in the US. If voters agreed, legal experts say, it would give fertilised eggs the same legal rights and protections to which people are entitled. The ballot initiative is funded by Colorado for Equal Rights, which on Monday announced the support of over 70 physicians and pharmacists. “We are honored to have received these endorsements from such respected physicians," stated Kristi Burton, the sponsor of the amendment. "Science clearly proves that life begins at the time of fertilization. We are secure in the fact that we have science and reason on our side, and we are pleased to have the medical community supporting our efforts." We are equally honoured that Declan’s petition to the UN on therapeutic cloning has received the endorsement of 520 scientists and academics, including 22 Nobel laureates; it’s just a pity we are not competing on a level playing field.