Friday, July 25, 2008

Letter to the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of The Big Issue

The Big Issue is a magazine sold by Declan and other homeless people on registered street pitches (bought by the vendor for 70p and sold for £1.50). So, for the record, below is the email letter Declan sent yesterday to The Big Issue outreach manager, Paul Joseph, a copy of which he then sent by registered post to the founder and editor-in-chief of The Big Issue, John Bird. I also sell this magazine, but for some time now I mostly sell it early in the morning so as to do as little walking as possible: I seem to be the only homeless in London that can’t get a pair of runners either in the Sisters of Mercy Dellow Centre or in the Catholic Manna Centre; and my daily food after 9.00am is two grated cheese sandwiches, one of which is Declan’s, which the nuns at the Dellow give the homeless “for later”.

Declan walks a round trip of two hours to the Manna every weekday to be guaranteed a bite to eat for lunch, although frequently he gets more than just food: for example, on 19 June he was assaulted (see blog “Declan assaulted in the Manna Centre”) – the assault came the day after he was robbed in the Dellow of all our money and documents (see blog of 18 June “Declan robbed in the Sisters of Mercy Dellow Centre”); and only a few days before a City of London Police 'No sleeping' sign went up on the back wall of the porch we have been sleeping in at night since 3 November 2006 (see blog of 25 June “Police ‘No sleeping’ sign in the porch”).

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Paul

Please find below a copy of my email to you yesterday. In order to protect my badge from any false allegation(s) by Big Issue vendor 1739, I wish to put forward the following account of my encounters with the vendor this afternoon from 1.00pm to 1.10pm at my pitch outside McDonald’s on Liverpool Street:

Vendor 1739 commences to sell The Big Issue outside Pret a Manger on Liverpool Street at 12.40pm approx, not only to customers sitting at tables outside the establishment, but to other Pret a Manger customers coming and going, and to passers-by. I sell to many customers of this Pret a Manger as they are going to or coming from the establishment, particularly at lunch time. At 1.00pm I cross the road to inquire of vendor 1739 if this Pret a Manger has been designated a new pitch by The Big Issue. "The co-ordinator told me to sell across the road from you," he replies. I say nothing more and, having noted this vendor's number, return to the co-ordinator to buy two more Big Issues and to inquire as to the position with this particular source of my business. I am informed that the co-ordinator has gone, and return to my pitch with the two Big Issues I bought. I am no more than 30 seconds back on my pitch when vendor 1739 approaches me extremely agitated. "Are you a co-ordinator," he shouts. "If you have a problem, you need to speak with the co-ordinator around the corner," I tell him. "What's your f**king number," he shouts. I look away for customers, without replying further. He reads my number (1163) from the badge I am wearing, and shouts that he is going to put in a complaint against me. In order to avoid any further confrontation (for which my badge can be suspended or terminated), I pack up and return to the co-ordinator's point to buy another two Big Issues for my evening pitch. I leave a message for the co-ordinator that, in order to protect my badge from any false allegation(s) by Big Issue vendor 1739, I would bring this matter to the attention of John Bird.

Please would you acknowledge receipt.

Yours sincerely
Declan Heavey

cc Mr John Bird, Founder and Editor-In-Chief of The Big Issue (by registered post)
-----------------------------------------

Subject: The Big Issue

Dear Paul

I wish to confirm that this afternoon at 2.00pm I lodged a complaint with your co-ordinator at Liverpool Street (name unknown) against a Big Issue vendor who at 1.55pm attempted to sell a Big Issue to two pedestrians that were standing on my pitch outside McDonald’s on Liverpool Street, and only a few feet away from me. I informed your co-ordinator that as soon as I have this woman's badge number I will lodge a formal complaint in writing with you. This same woman has in the past verbally abused both my wife and myself on our respective pitches - in the case of myself, on more than one occasion.

Yours sincerely
Declan Heavey
Badge no. 1163