Sunday, November 18, 2007

Extreme poverty

Yet another round of extreme poverty. Having been starved on Thursday (see previous blog on the latest takeover of my Big Issue pitch by the free ShortList magazine), on Friday morning I was forced to go back into Liverpool Street Station to beg so Declan and I could buy some food over the weekend, as no homeless centre opens around our area on Saturday or Sunday (except the Methodist Church-run Whitechapel Mission, but we were barred on 18 June by the minister’s wife due to concerns about our safety).

On Wednesday morning, in the station, I was informed as two police officers were ticketing me for the second time in two days for begging – I have been begging in the train station since mid-September without difficulty, but then, of course, Declan didn’t have what is now a well-endorsed petition up on the internet to the UN for a declaration in respect of research cloning of embryos and stem cells – that the next time I am caught begging I will be arrested or given a fine of £80, which, if I don’t pay, will land me in prison. Anyway, I went back in carrying my own bags, having said good-bye to Declan and not knowing when I would meet him next.

As soon as a kind person is passing me some change, who comes from behind me but the (Polish, I think) policeman who on Tuesday gave me my first ticket, as his partner was calling me “scum of the earth”, and forcibly removed me from the station, which I am confident was improper behaviour. This time he doesn’t ticket, arrest or fine me. Instead, he menacingly informs me that he has already told me begging is illegal and that he doesn’t want me in the station and to get out of it.

So we didn’t have the money to buy food for the weekend, nor the fare to take a bus to the West End where we might avail of a soup run. It meant I had to take my chances and go and beg on Friday evening around the Liverpool Street area, where people like to drink outside a few pubs. There were police standing around the pubs, so I just roamed the streets looking for somebody sitting or standing about. I was of course carrying my bags, so that if I was arrested Declan would not be stuck with them, and had arranged a time to meet Declan outside McDonald’s on Liverpool Street.

The begging didn’t go well at all, and all we have had for food for the weekend has been less than £3: Declan wanted me to eat and I wanted him to eat, resulting in both of us starving and feeling overall very weak, which is in all probability what the agenda actually entails. It doesn’t help either that we are ill-equipped for the bitterly cold nights: the nun in charge of clothes in the Sisters of Mercy-run Dellow Centre told me the week before last that she has no winter clothes – you would be forgiven for thinking spring just arrived – and gave me a teddy bear pyjamas bottom and a small old cardigan.

As I was walking the street on Friday night, I took comfort in the thought that Declan and I are humbly following in the footsteps of Galileo. Where has all my willingness to leave the train station landed us? For the first time since we started selling the Big Issue back in December, we can’t even afford to buy a magazine (70p) to sell. When Declan goes to the Big Issue head office early tomorrow morning to register our pitches – in the past there were so many problems with the weekly registration of our pitches that for months now, and by arrangement, Declan has been supervising the registration himself – I will be in the train station begging until I can put together the money we need to buy Big Issues and lunch (all I am eating today is bread).

If the police throw me out of the station, I am going right back in. If I am forcibly removed, like on Tuesday, it will be without my cooperation. The only way I will stay out is if I am forced either because I am arrested or injured as police seek to remove me (one of my shoulders has been dislocated several times).

On 8 September Declan lodged his case against the UK, together with an urgent request for expedition, with the European Court of Human Rights. The last time Declan wrote to the Registrar was on 6 October, enclosing, among other things, his latest hospital discharge summary report of 4 October, this time from the Royal London Hospital where he was hospitalised for two days with a viral infection, and my police statement of 22 September, having been woken by a guy who repeatedly kicked me in the chest and shoulders while shouting “f*****g tramp” – all to no avail. (As I have already stated in this blog, the case of Papon v France was expedited by the Court under rule 41 of the Convention because of the advance age and ill-health of the applicant in prison: the case was lodged on 12 January 2001 and on 23 January the Court asked the respondent Government to submit information and comments about the applicant’s conditions and regime.)