Monday, June 18, 2007

Assault and bar in the Whitechapel Mission

This morning at 6.50am I was assaulted in the canteen of the Methodist-run Whitechapel Mission by a homeless woman … then at 9.30am the manager (she is the wife of the Director, Minister Tony Miller) informs Declan and me, in front of two police officers, that we are barred from the premises due to concerns about our safety.

We actually should have known something was up because last night at 10.30pm, while we were sleeping in the porch, two employees entered the office building by the porch (very unusual) and this morning one did the same at 5.05am, 15 minutes before we get up (a first).

Anyway, this homeless woman threw a full roll of industrial kitchen paper at me, one end of the cardboard tube hitting me above the eye. She had already, while I was waiting for Declan to come back from the washroom, pushed me against the wall, thrown a cup of coffee at my feet, called Declan and me all kinds of unmentionables and put her fist to my face and told me she was going to kill me. (A reason? Can’t think of one: I have never talked to her before!)

All of this happened just a few feet away from the kitchen counter, but did any of the kitchen staff take notice of this homeless woman’s shouts and anti-social behaviour? Apparently not. And this homeless was obviously emboldened by the carte blanche too, because the pushing against the wall and the throwing of the industrial roll happened right in front of a kitchen worker who had come out to mop up the coffee at my feet.

When we called into Bethnal Green Police Station, we were told to go back to the Mission and wait for police officers to turn up – which we duly did. After we gave a second account of the assault and a description of this particular homeless woman to two police officers in the manager's office, in came the manager to tell us that due to concerns about our safety she was barring us from the premises.

There was no changing her mind, not when Declan reminded her that there is no other place for us wash and change our clothes before 9.30am (we sell The Big Issue in Liverpool Street most weekdays from 7.30am to 9.00am), nor when he pointed out that the European Court of Human Rights has the Whitechapel Mission as our care of address.

I can see the writing on the wall: unless I bring Declan’s application to the European Court of Human Rights to a finish over the next few days (our introductory letter can be found here), more incidents like this are likely to occur. It raises the question, the Department for Work and Pensions can act as unlawfully as it pleases, but can we exercise our right to submit our case to the European Court?

Declan is not letting the barring go (he is now seeking re-admittance), and will write to Andrew Hind, CEO of the Charity Commission. This afternoon he sent this registered letter to Minister Miller:


Dear Minister Miller

Re:   CCTV footage (Crime ref: 4204886/07), bar and care of address

In reference to the assault on me in the canteen of the Whitechapel Mission on 17 February 2007 (Crime ref: 4204886/07), I hereby request your confirmation or otherwise that there is CCTV footage of the incident for a prosecution/conviction.

I enclose copy of letter of today’s date from the Dellow Centre confirming that I can use the Centre as a care of address, which was formally the Whitechapel Mission.

I also enclose copy of my letter and enclosures of 12 June 2007 to the head of the Methodist church in the UK, Rev Graham Carter, regarding harassment and intimidation in the Whitechapel Mission.

I can confirm that this morning my wife was assaulted in the canteen of the Whitechapel Mission and, with two police officers from Bethnal Green Police Station present, my wife and I were barred by your wife, Mrs Sue Miller, Whitechapel Mission Day Centre Manager.

I note that you run a website called “Whitechapel Mission” (http://www.whitechapel.org.uk) and that off the homepage the “Latest Annual Review available” states the following:

Whitechapel is all about a promise – we promise that whatever mess your life maybe in, whomever else may have let you down, at 6am tomorrow morning our doors will open and you will receive a warm welcome. We will not bar you or exclude you. If your behaviour is not acceptable you will be asked to leave, but will be welcome back the next day.


I understand from Mrs Miller that my wife and I have been barred indefinitely from the Whitechapel Mission for our own safety because this morning I “grassed on a client” of the Mission, in what was described by PC Mussell (193 HT) as a “common assault and section 5 [of the Public Order Act 1986] public order offence”.

Yours sincerely

Declan Heavey

Encs

cc  Jerry Savill, Chief Superintendent, Bethnal Green Police Station
      Rev Graham Carter, President of the Methodist Conference
      Andrew Hind, CEO, Charity Commission

No comments: