Saturday, April 28, 2007

Seventh visit by the police

Two nights ago we received our seventh visit from the police – this time by a not very friendly female police community support officer. After the usual how long have you been sleeping in the porch, she only had two other questions before walking away abruptly: where do you put your bags at night; and have you ever been robbed.

Then, as we were bedding down, a total of four homeless passed by the porch within minutes of each other – Declan recognised them from the Dellow Centre and the Whitechapel Mission. (This morning at 5.10am a rough looking character approached us while we were packing to leave, asking for the direction to somewhere while at the same time eyeing our bags. Would he have run off with a bag if he had had the chance? I think so.)

This visit from the police wouldn’t have been related to Declan’s appointment the next morning with Detective Constable Alexander Head in Bethnal Green Police Station to have his statement taken in relation to the assault on him by a homeless guy in the Whitechapel Mission on 17 February – when he was punched twice in the face in an unprovoked attack. No, of course not. That would be what - thuggery?

You may ask why DC Head would take Declan’s statement now, when Declan wasn’t given the time of day for almost two and a half months (see below for chronology in respect of Declan’s efforts to have his statement taken). Enter Rev Graham Carter, head of the Methodist Church in the UK.

Carter wrote to Declan on 20 April in reply to Declan’s letter to him of 17 April (see blog of the next day) regarding harassment and intimidation in the Methodist-run Whitechapel Mission. In his letter, Carter says that the allegation of assault is being dealt with by the police and it is, therefore, not possible for him to comment on it. It would be our contention that the police then had to do just that – deal with it.

Anyway, this is Carter’s letter of 20 April:

Dear Mr Heavey

I acknowledge receipt of your letter of 17th April regarding your allegations of harassment and intimidation in the Whitechapel Mission.

Clearly the allegation of assault is being dealt with by the police and it is, therefore, not possible for me to make any comments on this. Your other allegations are most appropriately dealt with locally by those responsible for the running of the Whitechapel Mission, either the Management Committee or the Trustees, and I advise you to take up your concerns with them.

With all good wishes,

Yours sincerely,

Revd R Graham Carter


And this is the letter Declan sent by registered post this morning to Rev Peter Powers, Superintendent Minister for Tower Hamlets:

Dear Rev Powers

Re:  Harassment and intimidation in the Whitechapel Mission

I refer further to the enclosed copy of letter to me of 20 April from Rev Graham Carter, President of the Methodist Conference of Great Britain.

I also enclose copy of my letter and enclosures of 27 April to Chief Superintendent Mark Simmons of Bethnal Green Police Station regarding the unprovoked assault on me in the Whitechapel Mission on 17 February (Crime ref: 4204886/07).

I reconfirm that on 16 April I narrowly escaped being assaulted for the second time in the Whitechapel Mission. On this occasion, as stated in my previous letter to you of 24 April, the kitchen worker who intervened (Tony) took the view that it was my fault for not talking to the homeless that visit the premises. (That this was the view taken, would be evident from CCTV footage.)

Although I was informed by the acting manager of the Whitechapel Mission on 17 February that I enter the premises at my own risk, I remain adamant that this ought not to be the case. Again, I understand that if a visitor is invited onto the institution’s premises then a common duty of care will be owed by the institution to the visitor. This is to ensure that the visitor will be reasonably safe in the premises for the purposes for which he has been invited or permitted.

Kindly note that yesterday morning I was informed by Detective Constable Alexander Head of Bethnal Green Police Station that the Metropolitan Police have been informed by the management of the Whitechapel Mission that there is no CCTV footage of the assault on me on 17 February available from the camera covering the canteen area.

Yours sincerely

Declan Heavey

cc  Rev Graham Carter (by registered post – with enclosures herein referred to)


The enclosure referred to in paragraph 2 of above letter is Declan’s letter yesterday to Chief Superintendent Mark Simmons requesting under the Date Protection Act 1998 a copy of the statement taken by DC Head (some of which quoted verbatim the statement Declan handed in to Bethnal Green Police on 19 February). In this letter to CS Simmons, Declan enclosed the following chronology in respect of his efforts to have his statement taken:

19 Feb - 9.30pm, 1st visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Hand in statement of 19 February for the attention of Police Constable Richard Bentley. Told PC Bentley will phone me to have my statement taken by him.

21 Feb - 10.00pm, 2nd visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. PC Bentley on his holidays. Told PC Calabrese of Limehouse Police Station will phone me to have my statement taken by her.

23 Feb - 11.30am, 1st phone call to Limehouse Police Station. Told to phone on 26 February for PC Calabrese.

26 Feb - 6.15am, 2nd phone call to Limehouse Police Station. Told to phone at 7.00am for PC Calabrese.

- 7.15am, 3rd phone call to Limehouse Police Station. Told to phone control room.

- 7.20am, 4th phone call to Limehouse Police Station - Control Room. Told I will be phoned back immediately. (No call.)

- 7.25am, 5th phone call to Limehouse Police Station - Control Room. Told PC Calabrese will phone me.

- 8.30pm, 1st phone message from Limehouse Police Station. Asked to phone Detective Constable Alexander Head of the Beat Crime Unit to have my statement taken by him.

27 Feb - 7.30am, 6th phone call to Limehouse Police Station - Beat Crime Unit. Told to phone at 9.00am for DC Head.

- 9.00am, 7th phone call to Limehouse Police Station - Beat Crime Unit. Speak with DC Head. Told he will phone me to have my statement taken by him.

1 Mar - 7.00pm, 2nd phone message from Limehouse Police Station. PC Bentley says he is to arrest suspect, after which he will phone me to have my statement taken by him.

23 Mar - 5.30am, 8th phone call to Limehouse Police Station. Request crime report update. Told update not available over the phone.

- 7.00am, 3rd visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Request crime report update. Told report includes letters to me from DC Head of 26 February and 9 March, neither of which I received. Asked to call back at 8.00am for phone call to DC Head to have my statement taken by him. (7.30am, Whitechapel Mission issue letter stating no letter arrived for me since 20 January.)

- 8.00am, 4th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Asked to phone DC Head between 10.00pm and 6.00am.

24 Mar - 5.30am, 9th phone call to Limehouse Police Station - Beat Crime Unit. Told DC Head will phone me.

26 Mar - 12.30pm, 1st registered letter - DC Head. In reference to chronology to 26 March, I request (1) copy of the letters of 26 February and 9 March, and (2) appointment to have my statement taken.

29 Mar – 1st letter from Bethnal Green Police Station. Acknowledgement of receipt of my letter to DC Head of 26 March. States DC Head will be responding to my letter "as soon as possible".

16 Apr - 7.30am, 5th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Request crime report update. Told last entry is station’s letter of acknowledgement of 29 March.

- 4.00pm, 2nd registered letter - Chief Superintendent Mark Simmons. In reference to chronology to 26 March, I confirm that my statement has yet to be taken.

- 4.00pm, 3rd registered letter - Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis Ian Blair. Enclose for the Commissioner’s attention copy of my letter and enclosures of even date to CS Simmons.

22 Apr - 7.30am, 6th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Request crime report update. Told last entry is station’s letter of acknowledgement of 29 March.

23 Apr - 10.00am, 4th registered letter - Commissioner Blair. In reference to chronology to 26 March, I confirm that my statement has yet to be taken.

25 Apr - 9.00pm, 1st phone message from Bethnal Green Police Station. DC Head says that he has moved from Limehouse PS to Bethnal Green PS. He requests that I phone him at the robbery desk to have my statement taken by him as soon as possible.

26 Apr - 7.00am, 7th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Told to call back at 9.00am for DC Head.

- 8.30am, 8th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. Not known when DC Head will be on duty. Told DC Head will phone me.

- 9.15am, 1st phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Desk. Get voice-mail. Confirm that I wish to have my statement taken as soon as possible.

- 1.55pm, 2nd phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Desk. Get voice-mail. No message.

- 1.57pm, 3rd phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station. Told to phone robbery office for DC Head.

- 2.00pm, 4th phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Office. Told to phone back in 30 minutes for DC Head. (I confirm that my phone will be on for DC Head to phone.)

- 2.30pm, 5th phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Office. Told to phone back in 20 minutes for DC Head. (I confirm that my phone will be on for DC Head to phone.)

- 2.50pm, 6th phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Office. Told to phone back in 20 minutes for DC Head. (I confirm that my phone has been on since 2.00pm, and will remain on for DC Head to phone.)

- 3.10pm, 7th phone call to Bethnal Green Police Station - Robbery Office. Speak with DC Head. Told he will take my statement on 27 April at 11.00am.

27 Apr - 11.00am, 9th visit to Bethnal Green Police Station. My statement taken by DC Head. Told suspect has yet to be arrested.

The harassment and intimidation in the Whitechapel Mission has been exacerbated by police delays in taking Declan’s statement – didn’t he have to call staff on 16 April to avoid being assaulted by a homeless? Step into a bus outside the establishment to escape being assaulted by, er, another homeless?

Finally, these are a few highlights from the week: the day that DC Head leaves a message on Declan’s mobile saying that he will take his statement and requests a return phone call to arrange a time, that night we are treated to an all-night blue flashing light from the porch alarm (Wednesday from 8.30pm to 5.30am); a homeless tries to get into confrontation with Declan and, when I brush him off, he pushes me and then rubs up against me (Monday at 9.10am, in the queue to enter the Dellow Centre); no hot water in the women’s washroom since last Monday, at least not from 6.00am to 6.35am – a first (Whitechapel Mission).

No comments: