Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Declan’s statement to the police

Last night Declan and I delivered a typed statement to Bethnal Green Police Station for the attention of PC Richard Bentley (823 HT), who is investigating the assault on Declan by a homeless guy in the Whitechapel Mission last Saturday morning. Declan was given a crime reference number (4204886/07), and has now to be called to make the statement official.

Declan wrote the statement yesterday morning after the Dellow Centre let this homeless and his girlfriend do a laundry at the same time as us, which the two shouldn’t have because they have washing machines available to them in their respective local Salvation Army hostels.

This particular woman apparently set off one of the last fights that took place in the Whitechapel Mission on Sunday, 11 February after she shouted at some guy that her brother was going to slit his throat from ear to ear. (As reported in my blog, in all there were five fights that morning, the first two of which I witnessed.)

This is Declan’s statement:

Statement of Declan Heavey for PC Bentley (823 HT) re assault on 17 February 2007 in the Whitechapel Mission at 9.00am approx. Awaiting crime reference no.

I, Declan Heavey, a rough sleeper with my wife in the porch known as …, hereby declare that I was assaulted without provocation in the Whitechapel Mission, 212 Whitechapel Road on Saturday, 17 February 2007 by an individual called Ali by the mission staff, and herein referred to by that name.

At 9.00am approximately, I left the table I was sitting at (with four chairs connected to it, two either side) to get a cup of coffee for myself. My wife had already left to take a shower. At the back of my chair hung my coat and underneath I had one half of our belongings tied up.

I had no sooner left my chair when Ali moved from where he was and took my seat to talk with someone. I immediately returned to retake my seat before it might become more difficult to do so. Despite the non-confrontational manner with which I attempted to regain my seat, Ali accused me of being a “racist”. When I told him that he could have the seat and sought to untie the bags from the empty chair beside him, he stood up, pinning me between two tables and with my back to the wall.

He continued his loud and aggressive tirade about me being a racist, to which I continued to insist that he take the seat. As his tone became even more menacing, I looked over his shoulder for floor staff to come and cool him down. It was then that I received the first punch, to the right-hand side of my chin, with my hands down by my side. I had no sooner looked over his shoulder again for floor staff to intervene when I took the second punch, this time to my left cheek, my hands remaining down by my side. At this, a worker shouted, “Hey, hey!”

As soon as I could, I untied all the bags and moved them to the front of the canteen area to wait for my wife. Before she finished showering, the police arrived. PC Bentley (823 HT), having been introduced to me by the manager of the Whitechapel Mission, acknowledged from sight of my left cheek that I had been hit. I confirmed that I wished to press charges.

As I spoke with PC Bentley, his colleagues sought to arrest Ali, who had fled the building, apparently without his jacket. PC Bentley confirmed that he had been advised by the manager of the mission that Ali had been barred.

Yesterday, while I was shaving in the Whitechapel Mission washroom, a friend of Ali’s informed me that Ali wanted me to know that I would be killed by him outside the mission. I reported this to the manager of the mission as soon as I left the washroom.

Signed: ______________________           Dated: 19 February 2007

No comments: