Thursday, February 08, 2007

Email to the founder of The Big Issue

Declan has emailed the founder of The Big Issue, Dr John Bird MBE. Bird co-founded The Big Issue in 1991 with Gordon Roddick of The Body Shop. Bird is also running for Mayor of London. The difficulties that Declan is referring to in this email below I already elaborated about in my last blog, so I will not go into any more detail.

Other difficulties we are also running into are in the Dellow Centre. Of late more than half the queue outside the gates of the centre in the morning is of homeless living in Booth House (a close-by men’s hostel, run by the Salvation Army, that only accepts benefits). They already get a breakfast there so it is really a mystery to me what they are doing queuing outside the centre at 8.30am. Anyway, queues are now longer than before, and therefore we are waiting for longer to be let in after 9.15am.

Last Tuesday morning in the centre, with my usual cereal breakfast, I was given a coffee so black that when I added milk it was still black. When I asked the volunteer working in the kitchen to give me a less strong coffee, she put some of the content of my cup in the sink and then added another teaspoon of coffee before handing it back to me. Declan wasn’t too impressed with me complaining. He says that from now on he is going to get the same treatment.

Anyway this is the email Declan sent to John Bird this morning.

Subject: Westminster vendor jackets

Dear Dr Bird

I refer to my call in to your head office yesterday and this morning and, given the difficulties my wife (badge no. 1170) and I experienced last weekend with pitches in Covent Garden, would be grateful if we could each be issued a Westminster vendor jacket to enable us sell The Big Issue in the City of Westminster after 6.00pm.

Yours sincerely
Declan Heavey
Badge no. 1163