Wednesday, November 15, 2006

NAC website suspended

Last night at our patch, while Declan was out collecting some cardboard, a guy came to me and gave me £1.00.

I only know of two ways homeless people can make a bit of money: begging (which is illegal in the UK) or selling The Big Issue magazine. There is also, of course, stealing, mostly used by drug users. When it comes to The Big Issue, we don't see how we can sell it. Are we supposed to drag all our belongings, including our sleeping bags, along to The Big Issue office, collect a bunch of magazines, and then head off to two pitches where we leave all our belongings beside us as we try to sell them? It seems so unrealistic in our current circumstances, especially in London.

Our first choice when we came to London was to stay around Central London, where we would have easier access to alternatives for food, and even The Big Issue office itself. We also thought it would not be too difficult to get into a night shelter, where we would not only have a bed but a place to leave at least two sleeping bags and our clothes.

After the Dellow Centre sent us to The Passage near Victoria Station (a day centre run by the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul and Westminster Cathedral), and they told us more or less to return to Birmingham, it occurred to us that we may very well be left sleeping rough. Thinking that Central London may be too dangerous for that, we decided to move out to Tower Hamlets, close to the Whitechapel Mission – the only day centre in London that opens at 6am.

So here we are now, still sleeping rough. Our St Mungo's Contact and Assessment Team (CAT) refuses to visit us at night with the referral we need for a night shelter. And the only self-referral shelters are run by the Missionaries of Charity - one for men and one for women - but they do not appear to have the slightest interest in sheltering me.

Declan phoned the Missionaries of Charity again this morning. The nun in charge of the women's shelter tells Declan there is a place for me. He then phones the men's shelter and a nun there tells him there is a 6-week vacancy. When he phones the women's shelter back to ask what is the latest they can meet me, he is told there is no vacancy. Did they intend dragging me across London only to then turn me away with Declan sheltered somewhere else? Either way, it was outrageous. There was less than five minutes between Declan's two calls to the women's shelter, and he had already been assured that my place was secure.

I feel so fortunate that Declan phoned the women's night shelter back. What a absolute nightmare I could have been looking at tonight, on my own in an area I am completely unfamiliar with. That last phone call cost us £2.50. In total, we spent well over £5.00 dealing the Missionaries of Charity in a public phone box - and all for nothing.

And then there's the Sisters of Mercy-run Dellow Centre, which will not phone our St Mungo's CAT again for the referral we need to get into a night shelter. Declan also had to spend money phoning the CAT himself, leaving a message to the effect that we are still at our registered patch and waiting for them to visit us.

Our escapades don't finish there. Wednesday is women's clothes day in the Whitechapel Mission. The few homeless women who turn up every morning at the Mission are all quite well dressed by establishment. So today I decided to ask for some clothes. The old blue jeans that the nun in the Dellow Centre gave me last week are already in bad shape, plus I need a belt and few other items of clothing. I am told they have nothing. When Declan asks the same worker what day is best for me to get the clothes I need, he is told to wait 20 minutes, that somebody will give me a pair of jeans or he should ask him again tomorrow. It turns out that he has to ask him again tomorrow.

I don't know how a non-religious organisation would behave in relation to us, but I don't believe even a non-religious organisation goes far enough. Crisis, a national charity we have been calling into in the evenings, is non-religious. And yet, whilst we were queuing outside the Dellow Centre this afternoon to collect some laundry, one of the Crisis workers walked straight into the centre and stayed there for almost the whole duration of our visit, which turned out to be well over 15 minutes.

What Declan and I need is an organisation that doesn't have the slightest interest in religious groups, an atheist organisation. But, of course, no such entity exists. Also, we are not naive enough to think that even if such an entity existed, everything would be plain sailing for us with them. But at least it might offer us some bit of respite.

8.30pm Update

This afternoon our NAC website was removed from the internet. All we get is that our site is a "Suspended Website", that it's "currently not active". We have emailed Bravehost for an explanation. I tried to upload the site all over again (the 1,938 files, including images), but I'm prevented from doing so. NAC hasn't been deleted, though. I can still access all the files in the server through my Bravehost Website Manager. I just can't view them.