Monday, November 27, 2006

Email to Prime Minister Tony Blair

I must be getting used to the cold because last night my legs were not as cold as usual. I don't think I woke up more than two or three times.

Things have mushroomed at the Whitechapel Mission since the attempted assault on Declan and the attempted robbery of our belongings there yesterday morning. By the time Declan had brought our breakfasts to the table at 8.00am, he had negotiated no less than six homeless guys who had approached him in one way or another – the first one on the Whitechapel Road at 7.00am as we made our way to the Mission.

We left the Mission at 8.10am to be the first in the queue outside the Dellow Centre. Declan was adamant we do a laundry today, even though that meant we would have to wait outside the Centre in the cold and drizzling rain for 45 minutes until they opened at 9.15am. As it turned out, we were 5th in the queue and found upon entry that the washing machines had already been taken. I was told at reception that a place would be reserved for us tomorrow if we arrived at the same time. That's another 45 minutes waiting outside in the cold and likely rain. Somebody must be having a good laugh.

While Declan was waiting for me at reception at 11.30am (the centre closes at that time), the nun in charge of clothes appeared at the front door from the courtyard with the homeless guy who attempted to rob our belongings yesterday morning. She handed the guy a key and a black bag containing clothes. As well as the Dellow Centre, the Sisters of Mercy run hostels and flats for homeless men and women. Declan is expecting encounters with these guys to escalate, especially as we get closer to our High Court hearing on 11 December. I expect that encounters with volunteers are not going to be a problem!

This morning, by internal form for 10 Downing Street, Declan emailed Prime Minister Tony Blair regarding St Mungo's. We of course don't expect a reply, but the email serves to beef up our narrative heading for the court.

Dear Prime Minister,

Further to my telephone conversation this afternoon with Christine Adeyoola, Assistant Private Secretary to the Minister for Housing and Planning, I wish to complain that whilst my wife and I have been sleeping rough in Tower Hamlets (since 3 November), we have been waiting for St Mungo's, London's largest homelessness organisation, to provide us with a referral to a night shelter.

On 18 November (at 4.05am), my wife was assaulted where we bed down at night. A full account of this assault is contained in her blog at http://network-of-those-abused-by-church.blogspot.com/2006/11/assaulted-while-sleeping-in-our-patch.html.

Please would you advise if the matter of a dereliction of duty of care on the part of St Mungo's falls within the remit of your office.

I can confirm that on 20 November I spoke to the PA to St Mungo's CEO Charles Fraser, but to no avail; on 23 November the Private Secretary to Tower Hamlets Council Leader Cllr Denise Jones informed me that my complaint was outside the remit of the Council; and this morning Ms Adeyoola advised that my complaint was outside the remit of the office of Minister for Housing and Planning Yvette Cooper MP.

On 11 December I am before Mr Justice Walker in the High Court of Justice Administrative Court in London for an oral hearing for permission to apply for Judicial Review against the Department for Work and Pensions. This follows the decision by Birmingham Erdington Jobcentre Plus to terminate my joint claim for Jobseekers Allowance (from 19 September) because I did not sign my declaration that I was available for work on 27 September. I was not scheduled to sign on until two days later.

My wife and I signed on every second Friday, not every second Wednesday. Nonetheless, all my subsequent letters of complaint were ignored, including three letters to Secretary of State for Work and Pensions John Hutton MP.

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey