Friday, November 24, 2006

Email to the Minister for Housing and Planning

Again last night, it was very hot inside my sleeping bag. My bad throat is getting better, though, thanks to the non-prescription medication Declan has me taking. We again brought cardboard all the way from the Whitechapel Road to our patch - a walk of 40 minutes. We found this cardboard at the back of the new London Muslim Centre, a huge building that can hold 10,000 people. It appears the Blair government is throwing a lot of money the Muslim way these days.

Muslim leaders are calling for 150 private Muslim schools to be state-funded. No doubt, next they will be sitting in the House of Lords as unelected religious leaders (with full voting rights), just as 26 unelected Church of England bishops currently do. Perhaps that would suit the Christian hierarchy just fine, given the fact that Islam also prohibits euthanasia, abortion and gay marriage. (I don't think they have a clear position on embryonic stem cell research just yet.) It's not looking good for human rights in general, if you ask me.

Would it be preferable if schools, hospitals and other institutions of state were secular? Terry Sanderson, vice-president of the National Secular Society, thinks so. "We must secularise all the institutions of state," he told The Times last month. "It may take generations, but we must make it difficult for any religion to take any kind of power. Religion is never satisfied until it is in charge."

This afternoon Declan emailed Minister for Housing and Planning Yvette Cooper about St Mungo's. We don't really expect a reply, but no one will be able to say we didn't email her.

Dear Minister,

Further to my telephone conversation yesterday afternoon with your Assistant Private Secretary, Ms Christine Adeyoola, I wish to complain that whilst my wife and I have been sleeping rough in Tower Hamlets (for the past three weeks), we have been waiting for St Mungo's, London's largest homelessness organisation, to provide us with a referral to a night shelter.

In the early hours of last Saturday morning (at 4.05am), my wife was assaulted where we bed down at night. A full account of this assault is contained in her blog here.

Please would you advise if the matter of a dereliction of duty of care on the part of St Mungo's falls within the remit of your office.

I can confirm that last Monday I spoke to the PA to St Mungo's CEO Charles Fraser, but to no avail. Yesterday I spoke with the Private Secretary to Tower Hamlets Council Leader Cllr Denise Jones, who informed me that my complaint was outside the remit of the Council.

On 11 December I am before Mr Justice Walker in the High Court of Justice Administrative Court in London for an oral hearing for permission to apply for Judicial Review against the Department for Work and Pensions. This follows the decision by Birmingham Erdington Jobcentre Plus to terminate my joint claim for Jobseekers Allowance (from 19 September) because I did not sign my declaration that I was available for work on 27 September. I was not scheduled to sign on until two days later.

My wife and I signed on every second Friday, not every second Wednesday. Nonetheless, all my subsequent letters of complaint were ignored, including three letters to Secretary of State for Work and Pensions John Hutton MP.

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey


Rough sleepers like us could be in trouble this weekend. It's reported in this morning's Metro newspaper that Britain "will be battered by potentially dangerous gales and gusts of up to 120kph (75mph) this weekend". Great!