Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Catholic Church and freedom of expression

Last night was as cold as the previous night, and I have pain in my legs from it. As predicted, the police turned up – only not at our patch. As we were preparing to bed down, we heard two of them across the road, chatting with two guys. We decided to get into our sleeping bags straight away and wait until they were gone before sorting things – just in case they thought we were in a chatty mood too!

It was about 20 minutes before the two policemen left the street. So, yes, as we suspected yesterday, they are growing increasingly impatient with their lack of harassment of us over the past few days.

Just like two of nights ago, Declan didn't find any cardboard in the skip nearby, which usually has plenty of it. This time, however, he was prepared and had brought lots of it from the Whitechapel Road. So it seems somebody went to some trouble for nothing.

The Whitechapel Mission didn't have any clothes for me this morning either, despite it being women's clothes day. Although they advertise their clothes store by the front door, a member of staff asked me what I wanted her to get me. I don't buy that the homeless in the Whitechapel Mission (and there are some who you wouldn't know are homeless) are all dressed top to bottom by members of staff, and with whatever they want to dress them up in. It doesn't sound practical, for a start.

I do believe, however, that I am being excluded from choosing my own clothes. Obviously, if I can see the clothes first, I am going to take good, nice, comfortable and warm clothes. But they don't seem happy about me doing that.

Anyway, I told the member of staff (a Polish woman) what I needed most: a pair of jeans, belt and gloves. She told me to wait, which I did until we couldn't wait any longer. I had to leave a message with another member of staff (the Polish woman was nowhere to be seen) to the effect that I couldn't wait any longer and that I will collect whatever she has for me tomorrow morning.

As we were walking towards the Dellow Centre, Declan said that as far as the staff in the Whitechapel Mission are concerned, we are bringing it all on ourselves. My answer to their misplaced attitude is that I have a right to freedom speech. I would be in jail by now if I didn't have it.

We have a right to run an organisation that believes in secular government and science, and that campaigns for reproductive rights (including the legalisation of abortion), the use of condoms (especially in the fight against AIDS), embryonic stem cell research, voluntary euthanasia, gay rights, and more. We do not incite violence.

The Catholic Church is inconsistent on liberty, democracy and freedom of expression. In an article published by the International Herald Tribune on 19 August 2005, the journalists point out that Pope Benedict XVI himself links contemporary liberal democracy with fascism. In my opinion, nothing threatens the authority of the Church more than liberal democracy.

At the heart of liberal democracy lies the fundamental principles of reason, free inquiry and freedom of speech; whilst, for the Catholic Church, it is the subordination of individual freedom to the teachings of the Church.

I would like to know what kind of credibility the Catholic Church has when it comes to democracy in particular, especially in light of its horrific history of oppression and barbarity. The Inquisition and the persecution of Galileo aside, there are countless recent atrocities to choose from. For example, the association of the Church with European fascism, not only in Spain but in Italy and Germany. Or the complicity of the Catholic hierarchy in the horrors of Argentina's military rule that "disappeared" up to 30,000 citizens from 1976-83. Even closer in time is the ongoing sexual abuse scandal, with the extensive role of bishops in silencing victims, blocking investigations and facilitating abuse by moving offenders around the place.

The list of atrocities by the Catholic Church against democracy, freedom of speech and human rights is without doubt endless.