Saturday, November 11, 2006

Can I have some clothes, please?

Friday, Nov 10 | It's now been a week since Declan and I started sleeping rough. It seems someone in St Mungo's has made the decision to leave us on the streets (on police instruction, no doubt), and at a time when the weather is getting worse. Rain and cold are in the forecast for later today and tonight.

Declan spent the night coughing and sniffing. And this morning, while we were queuing to get into the Dellow Centre, he tried clearing his sinuses but got a nose bleed - the first in more than 20 years. He is now on a regimen of scarves, library (no parks), and self-medication with lozenges and non-prescription tablets.

Every Friday night at Trafalgar Square hot food and soft drinks are handed out to homeless people from two vans. It's very popular and attracts a large crowd. It's a veritable feast if you're a penniless homeless person. Last week we had rice, chicken, cokes, bananas, etc. The problem for us is we have to walk for two hours there and back, and carrying all our belongings, including our sleeping bags. Also, I don't think Declan can walk for long in his condition. So I think we will have to skip it tonight.

Yesterday morning I tried getting some clothes from the Dellow Centre. It turns out that the nun we often see carrying around a clipboard is the person in charge of clothes. After asking me what it is I need, she came back some minutes later with clothes in a plastic bag. Inside there was a pink tee-shirt, a white jumper and a pair of old blue jeans that were too big for me. My black jeans are no good anymore, so I have no choice but to wear the blue jeans. I have no intention of asking the nun for another jumper. I should have known what I was going to get.

The Dellow Centre is run by the Sisters of Mercy, an Irish order. They were heavily involved in the running of Magdalene Laundries all over Ireland, and in countries such as Australia, France, and even the US. According to the Guardian, they now have their eyes on Africa and Asia. If you are interested, we have a campaign to end Magdalene Laundries for good, and a 'take action' to the Congregational Leader of the Sisters of Mercy (oops!). You can read it here.